Queen Anne History

A house with a history . . .

Built about 1870 in the Queen Anne style of architecture, the main house was the home of Bean Belly Johnson, caretaker of the grand Stockton Hotel. Originally situated on the corner of Gurney and Columbia Streets, the house and carriage house were moved in 1905 to their present location, to make way for a church which stands there today. The land around our house, known as “Frog Hollow,” was filled and leveled when the Cape May Canal was built around the turn of the century.

The original house was added to many times over the years, with the advent of plumbing, the addition of a summer kitchen (now a utility room), two porches and an extension on the first floor.

The Ryon family has owned the property since 1979. We winterized and repaired the main house and rebuilt the old carriage house into a three level Victorian cottage. Victorian exterior details have been preserved; the old doors, triple-pane windows replicated with stained glass, a large Palladian window, original mouldings, and scalloped shingles.


Second Floor  -  First Floor  -  The Cottage  -  Home  -  The History  -  How To Rent  -  More Info  -  Sitemap